Operates cash register to itemize and total customers purchases in gas, deli, grocery, beer, liquor, tobacco, lottery, scratch offs, money orders, Western union, Cat scale or other retail items by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Collect cash, check, or charge payment from customer, make change for cash transactions
- Counts money in cash drawer at beginning and end of work shift to ensure money balances with sales
- Records daily transaction amounts from cash register to balance drawer
- Bags merchandise, issues receipts, and redeems promotional coupons
- Review price sheets to note price accuracy and changes on gas, deli, beer, liquor, or tobacco and all sale items
- Records prices and departments in an accurate manner on the register to ensure taxable items and totals are correct
- Stock and clean shelves, and mark prices on items
- Use the register to swipe all identification to sell tobacco, beer, liquor and lottery tickets to ensure of legal age to purchase
- Promote and ensure customer satisfaction on all purchases
- Greet all customers as they enter the store
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies
- Problem Solving- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional or difficult customers
- Customer Service- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; responds to requests for service or assistance; meets commitments
- Interpersonal Skills- Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control
- Oral Communication- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification: Responds well to questions
- Written Communication- Writes clearly and informatively; presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information
- Teamwork- Balances team and individual responsibilities: Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit: Puts success of team above own interests; Support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Professionalism- Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments
- Safety and Security- Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality- Is consistently at work on time; Ensures work responsibility are covered when absent; Contacts management according to attendance policy when a situation arises and won’t be able to meet scheduled shift.
- Dependability- Follow instructions, Responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes task on time or notifies appropriate person on an alternate plan
- Initiative- Volunteers readily; ask for and offers help when needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Language Skills
- Ability to read and comprehend the English language for simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos; Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers and other employees of the organization
- Mathematical Skills
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Reasoning Ability
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Computer Skills
- Ability to use cash register, 10-key calculator, count money
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands and fingers, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk to hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
Required Certifications and Licenses
It is the responsibility of the cashier to maintain at all times a valid State and Parish Certifications and/or Licenses. Must have them with them while on duty and presented to management or official when asked.
Must maintain the following
- Alcohol Beverage ordinance Card ( by Parish)
- Louisiana Responsible Vendors Permit
- Valid State Identification card or driver’s license
- Copy of Social Security Card
The Relay Station and Outpost Travel Centers are locally owned and operated truck stops/travel centers located throughout Northwest Louisiana. Each location offers easy access, separate islands for fuel and diesel, convenience store, restaurant, hot & cold deli, truckers’ lounge with showers and laundry facilities, plus a fun and friendly video poker casino featuring a full-service bar.
WE’RE ALWAYS OPEN — 24/7/365 — THE FUN NEVER ENDS
With over 5 acres of well-lit, secured parking, whether you’re roarin’ in on your Harley or rollin’ in with your big rig…you’ll love how safe and easy it is to…
“Come as a Stranger…Leave as a Friend!”
Company Website: relaystationla.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)